DBMS's full name is a database management system. DBMS is composed of three words, database, management, and system. Inside the structured database, the university student's id, subject, department come up. These are all in the format of a particular table, it is called the structured database. And the unstructured database contains the image, video, and text of a website So it is called unstructured
Because the image comes first or the video comes first, they do not have any particular format.
DATABASE - When we store a lot of data. After storing the data, some operations are performed in it. We store and retrieve the data. The database can be maintained manually or through electronic devices such as -: digital diaries, mobile phones, computers, etc.
MANAGEMENT - DATABASE management system is software with which we can also manage the information we store in the database. We can also retrieve and manipulate data. DBMS actually a tool, that is used to perform any kind of operation on data in database".
SYSTEM - It allows the creation, definition, retrieval, and manipulation of databases. Some examples of DBMS - My SQL, SQL Server, Sybase, etc.
There are three types of database architecture.
(1) One-Tier Architecture
(2) Two-Tier Architecture
(3) Three-Tier Architecture
(1) One Tier Architecture - Database is directly available to the user and any changes done here will directly communicate with the database.
Example- MS Office
(2) Two-Tier Architecture - Two-tier architecture is used for application programs that are run on the client-side. An interface called ODBC(Open Database connectivity). User interface and
and application program runs on the client-side.
Example-College, Bank, etc.
(3) Three Tier Architecture - Used for web applications. This architecture can be done only through the Internet. They are not possible without the internet. When a client opens Facebook, he will be the client when he enters the client's password. The request application will go to the server, logic is kept in it, then with this logic, it will search id and password in the database server, If the id password is correct, the Facebook page will be open and will show the error if it goes wrong.
Merits Of Database Management System -
- Controlling data redundancy -Data redundancy means having multiple copies of equivalent data. Database Management System controls the data redundancy and integrates all data into a single database file.
- Minimized Data Inconsistency - Data inconsistency means different files may contain different information about a specific object or person. If DBMS reduced the data redundancy then the database system leads the better data consistency.
- Data Manipulation Easily - In DBMS, Data can be manipulated easily, because data is centralized so once the data structure is defined, we can easily change the data.
- Data security - Data can be accessed only by authorized users of the organization.
- Support Multi-users Views - Multi-users can view the data at the same time.
Demerits of database management system -
- Cost(large data) of Hardware and software and Cost of staff Training means the organization has to be paid a lot of amount for Users must have knowledge of this to use DBMS.
- Damage control is a skilled task and the Need for technical staff.
- Cost of data conversion - When a computer file-based system is replaced with a database system, then the data stored in data files must be converted into database files. Keeping data in the database is difficult and takes a lot of time.