Advantages And Disadvantages of Edge Computing
What is Edge Computing?
The term ‘Edge Computing’ means the data works at the edge of the network, In the current time this is used widely in the corporate sector for their use.
Edge computing refers to the enabling technologies allowing computation to be performed at the edge of the network, downstream on behalf of cloud services, and upstream data on behalf of IoT services.
Before Edge Computing comes into the scenario, the ‘Cloud Computing’ is widely used, the companies like Amazon, Microsoft, and alphabet to provide the workspace to work on the data example one drive, google drive, etc.
Why is Edge Computing taking the place of Cloud Computing?
Cloud Computing is facing some challenges and a few limitations come into the scenario i.e. bandwidth, latency, uninterrupted,resource-constrained, and security.
Due to increasingly large and high-frequency data produced by objects at IoT, fully relying on the distant cloud is seeming impractical.
● Latency –
Cloud faces the challenge of achieving control over latency in tens of milliseconds. Because the companies want to get the result as fast as possible, but cloud computing is lacking in it.
● Uninterrupted –
The long distant cloud and the front end IoT facing connectivity issues because of unstable networks.
● Resource-Constrained –
Usually, many front-end devices are resource-constrained in which they are unable to perform complex computational tasks and hence. CLoT systems usually require front-end devices to stream their data to the cloud. But this needs lots of energy because of end-to-end data transmission via the Internet.
● Security –
A very large number of constrained front-end devices may not have proper sources to protect themselves from cyber-attacks. Especially outdoor front-end devices, which rely on the distant cloud to keep them updated with system software.
What are the differences between The Edge Computing and Cloud Computing
Basically in cloud computing, the data works on the other side of the network but in Edge Computing the data works at the edge of the network, which leads to getting the results as fast as possible. Also, Cloud requires huge amounts of bandwidth but in Edge Computing the amount of bandwidth is significantly reduced. Cloud Computing is suitable for business purposes because it requires a huge amount of data storage whereas Edge Computing can be used for extreme latency concerns. Cloud Computing requires robust security but Edge Computing doesn’t need it.
Advantages of Edge Computing
● Speed – In the current era of the computer revolution speed matters a lot or you can say latency in terms of network language. Now Big Companies and Corporates want their data to be processed in a short time.
● Future Technology – we are seeing how Artificial Intelligence and 5G technology are developing in the current commuting era. Artificial Intelligence and 5G will play a major role in changing the digital world. And Edge Computing will play a major role for them to get quick and accurate results.
● Location Solution – It is used for cloud computing in remote locations where at the centralized location the data is not limited or connected, this location needs mini data storage, and for that Edge Computing is beneficial.
● Data Efficiency – In Edge Computing after the process is completed, it doesn’t need to send back the whole data to the network, which reduces the amount of the data and increases the latency.
● Security – Security improves as the encrypted data passes through protected firewalls and other security points.
Disadvantages of Edge Computing
● Network devices – Edge Computing provides opportunities for data processing at the local level but there is a shortage of network devices, very few network devices are there, and also fewer skilled developers.
● Difficulty in protecting and security breaches – Edge Computing provides security benefits by reducing the amount of data at the localized point at the edge network but the concern is not every edge device is built with the same authentication which makes data susceptible to breaches.
● Fear of data loss – Edge computing reduces the amount of data and doesn’t send it back to cloud centers but if the user data is assessed by edge computing it will create a problem.
● Cost and Storage – Edge computing needs huge amounts of storage to work on the data, also the cost of storage, and network devices are pretty high. Also, the infrastructure is not capable enough right now.
Read Them Also –
Advantages and Disadvantages of online business during a pandemic
Laravel Framework v/s WordPress
Advantages and Disadvantages of the internet of things